Embracing the warmth and pleasantness of the summers is all right until it leaves behind its marks on your face and skin. But why should these drawbacks stop you from enjoying the weather? To effectively tackle the problem in hand, you must understand the term ‘tanning’ and how it impacts your skin.
What is Tanning?
Tanning is a process that darkens a particular area of your skin and face. This unevenness occurs because your natural skin colour is affected by the exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun or tanning beds.
Once your skin comes in contact with such harmful rays, it attacks the melanin in your skin. Melanin, produced by melanocytes cells, is a natural pigment in your body which is responsible for your skin colour. As soon as the rays attack melanin, they either oxidize or trigger an overproduction of this pigment. When UVA rays from the ozone layer attack your skin, it oxidizes the melanin and leaves your skin looking darker. But UVB rays trigger an overproduction of melanin while changing the cells where melanin is usually stored. This is how your skin gets darker and tanned due to the exposure of sun’s rays.
Areas Prone to Tan
Causes of Tan
While many people believe that indoor tanning methods are safer than the sun, it is proven that the damaging impacts of tanning beds can increase the risk of skin cancer. If we see in details, there are 2 major causes of skin tanning:
- Indoor Tanning: A tanned skin is considered to be a sign of healthy skin in modern times. But this fact applies only to the people with naturally tanned skin. If you tan your face and skin on purpose with the help of tanning beds, it will burn your skin and expose it to further risks. The UVA or UVB rays exposed to your skin causes genetic mutations that lead to future skin complications.
- Exposure to sun: Leaving your house without applying sunscreen is the major reason for tanning. Sunscreen blocks the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun from coming in contact with your face and skin. But it comes with many drawbacks. Exposing your skin to the sun can also have some benefits like getting vitamin D (as sun rays are a rich source of it). By using sunscreens, you are devoting your body to the goodness of the natural sun rays.
Types of Tanning
The type of tanning, according to Harvard dermatologist Thomas B. Fitzpatrick is as mentioned in the table.
|Skin Type||Skin Colour||Sunburning||Tanning Level|
|V||“Brown” or Dark||No||Sometimes Darkens|
|VI||Very Dark||No||Naturally dark skin|
Top 4 Tan Removal Products
You must’ve surely come across the salon favourite O3+ de-tanning products and wondered “What is D Tan?” D Tan products of O3+ are specifically formulated by experts to de-tan your skin. These products are recommended internationally by dermatologist. Check out the best of them for your skin below.
1. D Tan Pack
De Tan pack is an award winner tan removal face pack as it enriches your skin with 8 benefits in one jar. You can easily moisturize, de-tan, soothe, calm, heal, whiten, brighten, and lighten your skin in one go with the goodness of Eucalyptus and Mint oil.
Price: Rs. 830
How often to use De tan pack and procedure:
- You can use this pack once or twice a week.
- Cleanse your face and apply a thin layer of the pack.
- Leave it for 3-4 minutes before removing with a wet towel.
2. D Tan Scrub
D Tan Scrub is a blessing for every oily skin. The activated carbon in this tan removal face scrub effectively removes the impurities in your skin after which the restorative minerals and vitamins nourish your skin, leaving it bright and even.
How to use:
- Scrub the cream over your face in an upward direction while avoiding the eye area and breakouts.
- Leave it for 8-10 minutes and wash it with normal water.
3. D Tan Cream
De tan cream nourishes your skin with multivitamins that leave your skin looking radiant. Formulated by the best Italian dermatologists, this sun tan removal cream also reduces the visible signs of ageing on your skin.
How to use:
Apply on the exposed areas of your skin 10-15 mins before sun exposure.
4. D Tan Face Wash
D Tan Face Wash is specifically formulated for male skin with the goodness of Aloe Vera and Red Algae. This tan removal face wash effectively de-tans your skin while leaving is brighter and radiant.
How to use:
- Cleanse your face to remove dirt from the upper layer.
- Apply the tan mask in an upward motion over your neck and face.
- Leave it for 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly remove with a wet towel.